Toggle shoutbox Squawk box Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Bob : (22 October 2014 - 10:02 PM) Nite Tasch :)
@  DizzyBlue : (22 October 2014 - 10:00 PM) nite nite birdie peeps sleep well :)
@  Kendra : (21 October 2014 - 07:44 PM) I had not done it but have now, thank you.
@  divegirl : (21 October 2014 - 07:22 PM) Have you found it yet Kendra? If you hover over someones name, click on the box that comes up to go to their profile and there's an add as a friend button on there :)
@  Kendra : (21 October 2014 - 07:04 PM) Could you please tell how to add a friend?
@  Birdygirl (J... : (21 October 2014 - 11:36 AM) @divegirl : Thank you
@  divegirl : (21 October 2014 - 11:33 AM) oppps link may help http://www.theparrot.../58-my-name-is/
@  divegirl : (21 October 2014 - 11:32 AM) Have a read in here, where some of our birds have told they're story. Maybe add your own one :)
@  divegirl : (21 October 2014 - 11:32 AM) That's wonderful to read :) Would love to hear more about him and see some pictures maybe :)
@  Birdygirl (J... : (21 October 2014 - 11:31 AM) My name is Billyboy. I'm a 17 month old Indian Lutino Ring Neck.
@  Birdygirl (J... : (21 October 2014 - 11:23 AM) Hi there, This is a story about Billyboy and me.
I rescued him from Malta and brought him home to the UK on the 5th June 2014. Its the first time I have ever owned a bird, so I did lots of research on IRN's. It's been a love affair ever since. He actually adopted me whilst I used to go back and forth to Malta visiting a friend who originally owned him. They didn't get on. We have had the bites and tantrums, but with patience and calmness he has got over them. I didn't react to the bites even though a couple drew blood. I wore garden gloves in the end and he gave up. Now we don't use them. We have a really strong bond and he is very loving towards me. He even let's me cuddle and kiss him. Quite an achievement! So anyone having a bit of trouble with their IRN, keep at it. :0)
@  Bob : (20 October 2014 - 09:53 PM) Hahaha bless her lol
@  divegirl : (20 October 2014 - 07:38 PM) I think she may have Tourette's syndrome :shock:
@  divegirl : (20 October 2014 - 07:34 PM) Blue is on one tonight! The full reptoire [sp], burps, farts, running water, old man whistling... Oh and being a duck :biggrin:
@  Bob : (19 October 2014 - 10:23 PM) Night Tasch
@  DizzyBlue : (19 October 2014 - 10:07 PM) time for bed nite nite birdy people :)
@  DizzyBlue : (19 October 2014 - 05:16 AM) Sorry I missed you Mary I cleared off to bed at just gone half 10
@  mary : (18 October 2014 - 11:50 PM) ok I don't see anyone wants to talk
@  mary : (18 October 2014 - 11:47 PM) been there Tascha
@  DizzyBlue : (18 October 2014 - 09:42 PM) chat is open and has been for a bit anybody up for a gossip?
Photo

Taking My Macaw To Spain

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi my name is Colleen. Ruby is my one year old blue and gold macaw. I want to take Ruby to live in Spain. I have contacted DEFRA and found out what I need to do on that side of things. Thomsons will fly her but. There is very little information on pet carriers for parrots. I have been researching the required types and the one I have come up with, going off Rubys crown to tail measurements is big enough to house a german shepherd dog, plus a perch. And of course the bigger the case the more expensive the flight. As anyone any experience or knowledge of flying their pets to Spain

#2 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for such a quick response and will do

#3 OFFLINE   Lesley

Lesley

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 18h 27m 34s
  • Parrots Owned:Flint and Kipp
  • Hatchdate:Flint in 1996 (31st October I got him - roughly)
    Kipp in 2002 (5th May was date I got him)

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Good luck with it :-)

I can't help with the cage you need. But I know you need to complete some paperwork for DEFRA, you will need a vet certificate from the UK and Ruby will likely need to be vet checked on arriving in Spain. Make sure you are flying to an airport where they can have a vet ready for you - otherwise Ruby night be made to stay in the airport until they can get a vet to her.

Worth to check the quarantine proceedures for Spain as well. But I think within Europe it should be ok.

#4 OFFLINE   DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue

Blabbermouth

• 4,194 posts
    • Time Online: 21d 23h 47m 46s

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hiya from me and Henni Penni :bye:
Ooooo travelling backwards and forwards to Spain bet that's to soak up some sun rays :biggrin: remember to bring it back here for us tho!
Spain is EU which is good (as is the canary islands) lot less complicated then other places. If you're going backwards and forwards with your bird then would suggest you "land travel" your bird it's a lot less expensive and a lot less stressful for the bird. Lets face it those cargoe holds are noisey and can be chilly and scarey even to humans never mind birdies! If your going backwards and forwards it would seem you need different paperwork to just either one-way export or import. UK seems to want to pop the birdies in to 31 days quarantine on return if correct paperwork is not supplied. The paperwork takes quite a while to get into place so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do so. Parrot Passports are available but make sure you get your bird micro-chipped if it isn't already, plus a clean bill of health certificate of an avian vet, defra cities paperwork if required.
Did a little reading earlier :shock: like I do and thought the following links maybe of interest to you, general ex-pat website discussing parrot going out there but not back, then one by PAR which is a pet shipping company they have some really good info on their site too and the ever helpful leaflet supplied by DEFRA regarding import and export. There is another member on here but he's out to play today who knows about import / export and that's Lockey tap him up for info :thumbsup: . Anyways enough waffle here are the links:-
Ex-pats http://www.spainexpa...iewthread/8602/ I know it's an old thread but none the less useful to recontact to see what the current state of play is.
PARAIR http://www.parair.co.uk/birds.shtml lots of good info and a photo of the travel crate too!
Good leaflet from DEFRA http://archive.defra...ptive-birds.pdf
Hope everything goes according to plan and you have a lovely time.

#5 ONLINE   Bob

Bob

Bird Whisperer

• Administrator
  • 16,157 posts
    • Time Online: 260d 16h 46m 14s
  • Parrots Owned:Traff, Zuri, Ruby

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Some excellent info there, can't add to that :biggrin:
:welcome: to the forum Colleen and good luck!!

#6 OFFLINE   Kat

Kat

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 18h 49m 37s
  • Parrots Owned:Jenny CAG (hatched 2.6.02)
    Max CAG (hatched 13.5.09)
    Holly Kakariki (hatched 2000)RIP 18.9.12, Fly free my little angel x

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hello Colleen and :welcome:

All the best of luck with your travels and do let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

#7 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thank you all so much especially Dizzy blue for all the information. Ruby will only be travelling the one way, then Spain will be her home. I have booked a pet travel company to drive her to her new home. Hated the thought of the noisy, cold airplane. The company will also take her cage, flat packed so that gives her a good start with her own familiar place. Thanks again for all your support, will keep you all updated on Ruby's new life in the sun, in fact will probably be picking more brains in the future

#8 OFFLINE   Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,556 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 15h 23m 2s
  • Parrots Owned:Budge, Brian, Elvis, Jack, Leo & Holly (African Greys)
  • Hatchdate:2003, 2006, 06/04/09, 28/10/09, 15/08/10 & 28/09/11

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Good luck and do,please let us,know how you get on xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

#9 OFFLINE   DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue

Blabbermouth

• 4,194 posts
    • Time Online: 21d 23h 47m 46s

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Your more then welcome just hope it was of some use and the move goes really well. Will look forward to you coming back on here and telling us all about it and a picture of you all soaking up the rays :thumbsup:

#10 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi just thought I would jot down a few line's, just passing the time waiting for Ruby to poo, a requirement of the application for her move. Then its jetting up the motorway to Manchester with said sample. I changed Ruby's Diet on Sunday to the complete food Kaytee.exact. She seems to love it, only difference I have noticed is that her head feathers seem to be fluffed up more of the time, even without the usual flattery and tickles, any thoughts on this. I am wondering also if I should continue with her calcium drops in the water, it states no other vitamin supplements needed ?

#11 ONLINE   Scarlett

Scarlett

Blabbermouth

• Online Shop Owner
  • 8,202 posts
  • Parrots Owned:Spartan Greenwings and Oliver not forgotten
    River and Diesel Harlequins
    Maxwell and Molly Scarlets Sadly passed away
    Matilda, Archie and Dylan Blue and Golds
    Harley and Lucas Severe Macaws

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

If she`s not laying eggs I wouldn`t give her extra calcium if she`s on pellets no.
Fluffing up can be a sign of illness so keep an eye on her, can`t say ours ever fluff their head feathers up more than normal.

#12 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hi everyone, its with great sadness and many failed attempts to pull everything together to get Ruby to Spain, I have decided I need a new home for Ruby, and she will not be able to travel to Spain. I am sat here so early because I have spent the last few nights awake reaching this decision. If anyone on this site knows of someone who is looking for a one year old blue and gold macaw with an amazing temperament, could you please let me know. Ruby is in the best of health, and has a health check certificate to prove it.

#13 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
    • Time Online: 10d 16h 46m 31s
  • Parrots Owned:Pablo and Lola
    Ziggy R.I.P
  • Hatchdate:pablo 28/9/2003
    Lola 24/7/2011

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Aww. No what a shame,why can't you take her,you must be heart broken. So sorry.x

#14 OFFLINE   Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,556 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that and best of luck Where abouts in the country are you?

#15 OFFLINE   collythorn

collythorn

• Pip
  • 6 posts
    • :

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi I know it is awful, I'm in bolton, manchester. Just can't see a way round it

#16 OFFLINE   Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie

Quiet as a Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,556 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Maybe you could put an advert on here and see what you get back xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

#17 OFFLINE   woodlandtreespirit

woodlandtreespirit

Hobby Tree Hugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 17h 51m 24s
  • Parrots Owned:Penzo (Popper) an African Grey
    Vinni a Hahns Macaw
    Dill African Grey
    Mortimer a Derbyan Parakeet

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

So very sad. Thinking of you x

#18 ONLINE   Scarlett

Scarlett

Blabbermouth

• Online Shop Owner
  • 8,202 posts
  • Parrots Owned:Spartan Greenwings and Oliver not forgotten
    River and Diesel Harlequins
    Maxwell and Molly Scarlets Sadly passed away
    Matilda, Archie and Dylan Blue and Golds
    Harley and Lucas Severe Macaws

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

How much will you be asking for her? I have a very good friend who would consider giving her a home but he takes in rescues only, he pays for beautiful aviaries and a lifetime of care.

#19 ONLINE   Bob

Bob

Bird Whisperer

• Administrator
  • 16,157 posts
    • Time Online: 260d 16h 46m 14s
  • Parrots Owned:Traff, Zuri, Ruby

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

That's sad, sure you will find her a good home...

#20 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
    Ziggy R.I.P
    Lola 24/7/2011

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

cant you drive over and take the bird in the car with you

#21 OFFLINE   Kat

Kat

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 18h 49m 37s
  • Parrots Owned:Jenny CAG (hatched 2.6.02)
    Max CAG (hatched 13.5.09)
    Holly Kakariki (hatched 2000)RIP 18.9.12, Fly free my little angel x

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Oh that is such a shame, all the best finding a solution or a loving forever home for Ruby :)

#22 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Blabbermouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
    Ziggy R.I.P
    Lola 24/7/2011

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yes I would like to know as well as if I ever have to move back to the uk ,I couldn't leave my two here ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Hello and welcome to The Parrot Club Forum, please Login or Register to use all features and chat with our friendly members.