Toggle shoutbox Squawk box Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Lou : (19 December 2014 - 07:40 PM) now where to find one small enough :dntknw:
@  bobbie : (19 December 2014 - 07:28 PM) Lou she needs a cork up her bum!!
@  Lou : (19 December 2014 - 07:22 PM) hun i am sorry, she is a machine!
@  bobbie : (19 December 2014 - 07:21 PM) She has nowhere to lay it only on the floor of her cage!
@  bobbie : (19 December 2014 - 07:19 PM) Really thought she'd not lay again!! Totally gutted!!!
@  Lou : (19 December 2014 - 07:16 PM) Jude tell her no!!! no more pea!!
@  divegirl : (19 December 2014 - 07:15 PM) Oh no... poor Pea :(
@  bobbie : (19 December 2014 - 07:12 PM) Lil Pea's got an eggbum again!!! : ((
@  ally2803 : (19 December 2014 - 06:16 PM) he is approx 5 years old - I'm really surprised he is talking already thought it would take him a while to settle :)
@  Scarlett : (19 December 2014 - 05:21 PM) Exciting, yes, pictures needed for sure!
@  DizzyBlue : (19 December 2014 - 04:51 PM) Congratulations Ally2803 :rose:
@  divegirl : (19 December 2014 - 04:27 PM) Awww that's fab news Ally :biggrin: Any pictures yet? We need to know everything
@  Heather : (19 December 2014 - 03:14 PM) Ally, first parrot? How exciting, whats he saying?
@  Heather : (19 December 2014 - 03:14 PM) Thanks lisa x
@  ally2803 : (19 December 2014 - 03:12 PM) he's home whoop whoop my new African grey 'Bob' and chatting already - only slightly excited :)
@  Heather : (19 December 2014 - 03:08 PM) Just a trmperature and tired/sleeping a lot. Woulda been great except stress pf petshop work online to do. Photos done!!!! :-). Theyre very affectionate bunnies, love nose rubs and jump up onto the bed to cuddle/sleep beside me. And to stick their big furry faces in my face /-:
@  divegirl : (19 December 2014 - 03:08 PM) Hey Heather, glad you're feeling better :) I've seen the bunnies Lou arghhhhhhh ttttttoooooooooo cute!
@  divegirl : (19 December 2014 - 03:07 PM) Its not the hugest place in the world Scarlett... honest lol
@  Lou : (19 December 2014 - 03:02 PM) you had the lurgy to? its been rife and savage! look forward to seeing the bunnies!
@  Heather : (19 December 2014 - 03:00 PM) Not online on parrot forum i mean lol
Photo

How To Tame A Rosella Parrot?

crimson eastern rosella rosella tame help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
    • Time Online: 8h 31m 55s
  • Parrots Owned:opaline red rump , golden mantle rosella , crimson/GMR hybrid rosella.2 X RINGNECKS & 1 LOVEBIRD , we only have eli the ringneck and sid the lovebird

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

hi i have a crimson / golden mantle hybrid rosella had him/her for about 2 weeks i bought milo from a pet shop so was kept with other birds and not hand raised . on the first day we got him we he was mad flying into everthing so we took him vets and they clipped one wing while we try to tame him , up to now he will step up onto a hand held perch but flys off he wont step up onto my finger he bit it really hard and wouldnt let go ouch ha. but am i doing ok because ive heared they are really hard to tame even just step up. all i want milo to do is fly to me eat from my hand etc nothing special. anybody any tips with rosellas?

#2 ONLINE   Bob

Bob

Bird Whisperer

• Administrator
  • 16,742 posts
    • Time Online: 287d 10h 33m 40s
  • Parrots Owned:Traff, Zuri, Ruby

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hi and :welcome: to the forum
It's a shame they clipped his wing, and clipping only one wing even worse as the balance will be totally lost, surprised a vet did that...
But anyway that can't be undone now, we have a few members with Rosellas, all I can say is time and patience is key, they need to learn to trust you, find out what his fav treat is and start from there..

#3 OFFLINE   Sarah-Jane

Sarah-Jane

Alice in Parrotland

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts
    • Time Online: 27d 12h 21m 15s
  • Parrots Owned:Casper (CAG) Alfie (TAG) Bertie (CAG) Percy (Crimson rosella) Milo GW macaw
  • Hatchdate:24.07.09, 08.08.09, unknown got him on 20.03.10, unknown got him on 25.06.09, 12.02.12

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum :-)

I have a crimson Rosella called Percy who I believe is about 8 years old ( I rehomed him)
It's a terrible Shame his wing has been clipped :( only one makes it even worse like if I cut off your right arm...
Anyway, Percy wasn't tame and prob never will be. Rosella's are more suited to aviaries with other birds rather than a tame bird to sit on you...
I've now had Percy 3 years and he will take the odd nut from my hand but other than that he doesn't really like being touched and prob won't.
It will just take a lot of time and patience. Don't move around too fast near milo and don't push him he will trust you in his own time

#4 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Parrots Owned:opaline red rump , golden mantle rosella , crimson/GMR hybrid rosella.2 X RINGNECKS & 1 LOVEBIRD , we only have eli the ringneck and sid the lovebird

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

thank you all for the welcome and the reply's. the vet at the big vets4pets chain said its better for one wing to be clipped so birds can still fly which he can i dont even know why she did it milos jus the same lol . we didnt get him for a novelty to show off tricks etc we are happy jus to let milo have run of the house was just wondering if anybody has got a rosella to trust them like other birds but it dont seem that way . we only took milo vet becasue we had a red rump parakeet then we got a GMR which both died so shop keeper gave us milo so we went vets with him to get checked over. wings wont be gettin clipped again.

#5 ONLINE   Nikki h

Nikki h

Mother Hen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts
    • Time Online: 75d 6h 32m 11s
  • Parrots Owned:Humphrey & Humphrietta and Haggis! All Congo African Greys, Gypsy and Dexter the citron crested cockatoos and Buster and Ziggy the lesser sulphur crested cockatoos and Bonnie the Moluccan! Scooter blue fronted Amazon
    Aviary greys
  • Hatchdate:Haggis 29/10/11
    Humphrietta 24/1/12
    Humphrey 10/2/12

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi hun and welcome aboard! X red rumps and gmr s too are better suited to aviary life also could well of died due to stress!
I had to handrear 3 pennant/crimson rosellas due to the mother killing her chicks, they very quickly loose there tame mess! I have to say I have never heard of anyone keeping red rumps as a pet!

#6 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

hi nikki yea we now know about them being better in aviarys we didnt know that much about birds . 2 months ago we got the hand reared red rump of a private breeder and she was very tame and happy listening to commands etc. about 3 weeks we got a GMR from a pet shop and they said theyl be fine together and i listened as this pet shop had been selling birds for many years then the GMR died of disease then we got a GMR / crimson hybrid of the pet shop because of this and we gt him (milo) a cage . then 2 weeks later our red rump died of the same disease the vet said it sounds like parrot fever and we need ave a test next week! our. milo is still alive and no signs of watery poop yet! we got these birds because of cheap price ive gt 2 kids so need money next time i think ill spend a bit more money on hand reared and research the best breed, any suggestions?

#7 OFFLINE   Tracey

Tracey

What's one more?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 13h 1s
  • Parrots Owned:Cookie(Congo African Grey)
    Crackers,Shaggy,London,
    Paris(Finches)
    Snowy,Storm(Budgies)
    Jack,Polly,Peaches,Pebbles(Cockatiels)
    Sunshine,Rain(Canaries)
    Pandora,
    Charlie(Black Headed Caiques)
    Sammy(Senegal)
    Jasper(Sun Conure)
    Chuckie(Blue&Gold Macaw)
    Scooby(R.I.P)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Depends what type of bird your looking for,large or small etc.

#8 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

wel about medium size and a breed which is known to adpat well to human company , probaly inbetween 150 -300 pounds.

#9 OFFLINE   Tracey

Tracey

What's one more?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
    Crackers,Shaggy,London,
    Paris(Finches)
    Snowy,Storm(Budgies)
    Sunshine,Rain(Canaries)
    Pandora,
    Sammy(Senegal)
    Jasper(Sun Conure)
    Chuckie(Blue&Gold Macaw)
    Scooby(R.I.P)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well theres a senegal not sure how much they cost,caiques there about 400-450 cockaitel i got mine 50 pound+cage. budgies slightly smaller birds.

#10 OFFLINE   Tracey

Tracey

What's one more?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
    Crackers,Shaggy,London,
    Paris(Finches)
    Snowy,Storm(Budgies)
    Sunshine,Rain(Canaries)
    Pandora,
    Sammy(Senegal)
    Jasper(Sun Conure)
    Chuckie(Blue&Gold Macaw)
    Scooby(R.I.P)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

would you consider rehoming as there is alot out there that need rehomes.

#11 ONLINE   Nikki h

Nikki h

Mother Hen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts
  • Parrots Owned:Humphrey & Humphrietta and Haggis! All Congo African Greys, Gypsy and Dexter the citron crested cockatoos and Buster and Ziggy the lesser sulphur crested cockatoos and Bonnie the Moluccan! Scooter blue fronted Amazon
    Aviary greys
    Humphrietta 24/1/12
    Humphrey 10/2/12

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Isn't sad when pet shops don't properly inform new owners I guess they just think of it as a sale!! :(
If I was you I wouldn't buy any thing else until you know the bird you have is ok! Or it will just be passed on to the next bird!
Kakarikis make lovely pets and talk alittle! Personally I'm not a lover of cockatiels but they do make nice pets!
Depends what your after hun and how much time you can give them!
You will certainly get lots of advice and support from the members on here! Xx

#12 ONLINE   Nikki h

Nikki h

Mother Hen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts
    Aviary greys
    Humphrietta 24/1/12
    Humphrey 10/2/12

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Tracey I hear the caiques are lovely birds and are such contrasting colours too!! I have no knowledge of them, I just have the greys now!!

#13 OFFLINE   Greg Glendell

Greg Glendell

Loquacious

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
    • Time Online: 14h 54m 32s
  • Parrots Owned:Greys Amazons and Meyers

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

hello,
It's so sad to hear of another case like this. An aviary bifrd, now badly disabled and therefore even *more* fearful due to having been wing-clipped by a 'vet' who clearly knows nothing about birds.

This bird should have its wing repaired *now* without any delay, and be provided with an aviary with another rosella for company. It will only continue to be fearful and suffer, if kept caged, indoors without the company of its own kind.

I will of course contact head office of vets4pets and ask that they ensure no such thing is done to birds in their 'care' anymore; it's appalling.

#14 OFFLINE   Tracey

Tracey

What's one more?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
    Crackers,Shaggy,London,
    Paris(Finches)
    Snowy,Storm(Budgies)
    Sunshine,Rain(Canaries)
    Pandora,
    Sammy(Senegal)
    Jasper(Sun Conure)
    Chuckie(Blue&Gold Macaw)
    Scooby(R.I.P)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Caiques are joyful but are more trouble than my grey as they fly faster and can fit into smaller spaces but they do love to be with you most of the time

#15 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

Greg _ keeping any sort of bird in a cage or aviary is sort of cruel anyway infact keeping any caged animal is not fair on the animal . but they are captive and would be bought by someone else and he only goes in his cage at night which is a large parrot cage he goes sleep when we do and comes out when we wake up. alot of bigger parrots go crazy and need rehomeing because they learn that they are not really suppose to be just with humans locked in a house and need bird company. yea i didnt think he was just saying it for a sale at the time i just beileved him , if our rosella shows signs of being unhappy then i will sure take him some were , is tail feathers are growing back after being snapped off by other birds in the aviary at the pet shop so he cnt be to unhappy .

#16 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

my friends dad had a black headed caique for years , monkey parrot is there nick name. i think i might go for one in a few years. he had to give his to the parrot zoo because he works longer hours now . the parrot did lots of tricks .

#17 OFFLINE   Sarah-Jane

Sarah-Jane

Alice in Parrotland

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts
  • Parrots Owned:Casper (CAG) Alfie (TAG) Bertie (CAG) Percy (Crimson rosella) Milo GW macaw
  • Hatchdate:24.07.09, 08.08.09, unknown got him on 20.03.10, unknown got him on 25.06.09, 12.02.12

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

How are you getting on with your Rosella?

#18 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

the rosella is coming on day by day hes making sounds he never has one is a human sounding wolf whistle and clickin like a dolphin lol , he stays on the hand held perch for longer nt steppin up onto my finger yet tho. he likes perching on top of the tele and leans over to watch it and is gettin used to kids jumpin about but doesnt go to the floor yet.

#19 OFFLINE   Sarah-Jane

Sarah-Jane

Alice in Parrotland

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

That's great news sounds like you're making brilliant progress

#20 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

good good , glad im doing ok. just got a indian ringneck today. so do i just do what ive done with the rosella and not open the cage for a day or two let it settle down ? some people have told me 13 week and a ringneck will want you to stroke him .

#21 OFFLINE   malibu200786

malibu200786

Gobby

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

i forgot about the diseases they are in the same room at opposite sides , the IRN as started to eat drink and move n play with his toys now. im just thinkin of gettin a bigger cage hes no where near fully grown yet but his tail is long the one i got looked bigger in the shop it as a open top perch and is about 20inches long , 16inches deep and 40inches high. when will i need a new cage if i get a new one now i could disinfect this and sell it as nearly new to get money bck off buying a bigger one. what size should i be looking for?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crimson, eastern rosella, rosella, tame, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Hello and welcome to The Parrot Club Forum, please Login or Register to use all features and chat with our friendly members.